Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Buying a Workshop

When I first started trying to collect this list, I knew most of the cards would be hard to find.  In particular, I had almost no idea how I was going to find a Mishra’s Workshop for trade.  I had settled on the idea that I was going to have to drop the full price and buy this card from a retail store.  With a card that was worth hundreds of dollars, I really wanted to see physically before I decided to buy/trade.   As luck would have it, I found someone who had this card for trade.
When I started collecting this deck, I contacted almost everyone I know in the Magic community to see if they had any of the cards from the list.  You can imagine my surprise, when I logged onto Facebook to see that Drom’s had found someone who has a Mishra’s workshop for trade.  After driving down to the store and talking with the owner of the card on the phone, he decided to come into the shop so we could trade.
He showed up with the Workshop as well as several boxes of pimped cards.  We looked through each others collections and ended up settling on the following trade:

Mine:
·         5 Marsh Flatts
·         Frost Titan
·         Venser (Planeswalker)
·         $$$
His:
·         Mishra’s Workshop (MP)
·         6 Island (Arena Foil, Beta Art)
·         2 Gaea’s Revenge (Japanese)
·         Akroma, Angel of Wrath (Japanese)
·         Phyrexian Processor (Japanese)
·         Thousand Year Elixir (Japanese)
·         Brittle Effigy (Foil Japanese)
·         Goblin Charbelcher
The guy I traded with is an awesome guy.  He has always been more than a fair trader.  I have always been more than happy to trade with him every time he has shown up to the shop.  When I have traded with him, I have not paid a huge attention to values of cards I am receiving.  He has a bunch of pimp cards that are hard to place a definite value on.  I just put whatever cards I get from him into decks I have.  I don’t think there is a single card I have gotten in a trade from him that has not gone into a deck.
There is a card on that I got in this trade that was not in the deck, that I have added into the deck, Brittle Effigy.  After playing with Arcum for a few weeks, it has become painfully obvious that I require a minimal amount of spot removal.   Thwart has been removed from the list of cards.
Other trades made this week:
Mine:
·         2 Bulk Rares
·         Darkslick Shores
His:
·         Full Art Memnite
·         Foil Mystifying Maze
I was buying some things for extended elves and found a Solemn Simulacrum online for $11.  I had a coupon that required me to get over $50 worth of stuff to get $5 off.  The Simulacrum put me past the 50 dollar mark, so that I could cash in on my discount.
40 Down – 60 to go.
-Sean
P.S. I am thinking of adding Mana Drain to the list.  Let me know what you guys think

1 comments:

David said...

You have a number of good outlets for the mana from Drain. And there is a very obvious card to cut for it (Counterspell). Definitely keep an eye out for one so you can pick it up.

Post a Comment